Monday 26 September 2016

The Day before my shoulder operation

I am 59 years old and never been in to hospital for any kind of operations so tomorrow (operation shoulder day) will be a brand new experience. I am a 'full on' primary school teacher doing Forest School work all week with all ages 4-11year olds. I have taught in  this school for nearly 27 years and only had 2 days off in that entire time, so to be told I have to be signed off for 6 weeks and can't do a lot during that time (no driving for 8 weeks) I am thinking I will struggle just a bit!

But I am focused and will write lists and a schedule to give my day routine, starting tonight with Blog writing.

So why am I having this operation? Well last January 2016 I had the chance to join the school team for a 'Clip and Climb' challenge, but with a determined mind I HAD to climb and hit the buzzer at the top on all the climbs - result ... a ripped tendon. Funnily enough it only hurts when it gets lent on or aches a lot at night, hurts if I lift heavy things down from a shelf or lift a heavy branch or turn my arm back to reach for something. If I were 80 I wouldn't have the op cause I wouldn't need to do these kinds of things but in my job and at 59 it is a daily occurrence.

With just 2 hours before an early night to go, I have to prepare myself carefully and get up at 6.30am tomorrow. I can drink water tonight but nothing from when I wake up tomorrow! Yikes!
I'll have a shower and take my dressing gown and slippers, a book to read but will leave my vary focal glasses at home (they need 2 hands to put on as delicate frames) so will take cheap reading glasses.
I must remember not to put make up on or wear any jewellery (including my wedding ring) hope it comes off! Thankfully I can take my phone to fiddle with!

Tomorrow I  have to be there by 8am and then probably the long wait until it is my turn. I'm having a block in the left neck to numb the shoulder and arm then a full anaesthetic, and will wake up with a sore throat from the tubes and an oxygen mask.  But then I get a cup of tea so that's all I'm going to focus on - can't wait. I've packed myself a sandwich and oaty biscuit to eat if it's a long wait in the afternoon as no one goes home until the surgeon pays me a visit after all his patients are done.

Right then all ready - done the clothes washing, tidied up the house parked up my car for 8 weeks and have just managed to pull off my wedding ring! I'm ready - let's do it!

Speak tomorrow maybe? If not Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment